Green Tea St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 2/3 cup rice or soy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 to 4 teaspoons matcha tea powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Desired amount of green food dye
Make the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line cupcake pan with liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, rice milk, vanilla, food dye, oil, and almond extract, beating well to blend in yogurt. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, matcha powder, salt, and sugar. If using rice flour it will be a little lumpy. Beat a little longer to break up any large lumps. Fill liners two-thirds full and bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted through the center of one comes out clean. Cool on racks before topping.
- 1 1/2 sticks earth balance butter softened or 1 1/2 cups solid coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp Matcha green tea powder
- 3 Tbsp water
- 5 cups powdered sugar
Combine water and tea powder into a paste. Cream earth balance or oil with the tea paste. Mix in the powdered sugar and chill until cupcakes are cool enough to frost.